Thursday, October 12, 2017

Service=True Happiness! Mesa Week #61

Hey Momma!

It's interesting to hear about all that's happened in the last year or so! Things are always changing, there and here.  All I can say is that the Lord is blessing you at home and me on my mission and that brings me a lot of happiness.  And I know that peace comes because we live the gospel of Jesus Christ. What more could you ask for!

Aw man I'm glad you ran into Christian! I miss him a ton. I can't wait to hang out with him again. He is a super good kid. 

 Brother Senior(my WML) told me that he saw Lucy and Finny in Utah at a mission reunion. It was cool to make the connection. Brother Seniors awesome, he travels up to Provo every week for 4 days because he teaches at BYU. Super smart guy. My other Ward Mission Leader Brother Passy is super cool too! We had a Correlation meeting last night with all of the ward missionaries and it was soooo good! I think he's one of the most motivated and best WML's I've had on my mission. Things are going to pick up quick in that ward😁

We didn't have too much success this week with finding people to teach. It's still pretty difficult to find people to talk to. People are like vampires here, they don't come out of their house for anything....ever. If they do they are always in their car😂 We did meet with one of our recent converts Taz. She's solid, has a super strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and she is preparing to go to the temple soon! Her Brother gets back from his mission this week so that's exciting too! 

Although the teaching aspect of the week was slow, we were able to do a ton of service! It was sooo much fun! I've never had so much fun on my mission! Seriously! Especially after watching General Conference and how much of the focus was on serving others as the Savior did. I was able to help a less active family clean up their home and help them move out. They were so grateful, you could see it in their smile and that's priceless. We also helped the Zone Leaders serve one of their investigators. He is a professional skateboarder and so we cleaned up his skate park in his backyard and cleared up some weeds. Again he was so grateful he couldn't express it. Now I know why the Savior served so often! Everyone wins!

The biggest service opportunity we had this week was at a Triathlon in Mesa. It was called the "Mesa Sprint Triathlon". It consisted of a 400 meter swim, 10 mile bike ride, and then running a 5k. We were able to help out for basically all of Saturday morning. There were a TON of people there, it was awesome! What I did was help at the transition station, where people went from swimming to biking. It was nuts but good! People are die-hards. I had to keep people off of their bike until a specific point on the course, and then once they reached that point then they could mount their bikes. It was good haha, I don't have a super loud voice so I was yelling pretty loud directing contestants. Elders Mosel and Anderson were with us the whole time as well. One of them is my district leader so we had a fun time. I actually bumped into a ton of people from Las Sendas area which was cool, everyone was on their bikes. If you live in Mesa and you bike a lot, you go to Las Sendas. Anyways once everyone was done with the transition from swimming to biking, we were able to go to the finish line and hand out metals and cheer people on. It was cool because everyone recognized us as missionaries and thanked us for serving. We were all wearing bright orange shirts so it was hard to miss us. It just made me realize the joy that comes from service. I was super happy having a good time as well as the contestants and other people helping out. It was a testimony builder for me that service is a huge blessing for everyone. I love service😊

This week I also had the privilege of giving a training about the BOM. I shared this quote from Tad A. Callister's talk last week. These are his inactive friends words “Initially, I wanted the Book of Mormon to be proven to me historically, geographically, linguistically, and culturally. But when I changed my focus to what it teaches about the gospel of Jesus Christ and His saving mission, I began to gain a testimony of its truthfulness." I talked about the importance of helping people have the right focus when reading the BOM. That focus needs to be on Jesus Christ and his teachings and gospel. That will help all people gain a solid testimony of their Savior and will have more spiritual experiences with the BOM. I know that this has blessed my life so much and that's why I continue to share it with everyone. 

Well that's about it for this week!  I know this work is true and that it will continue to go forth no matter what. Thanks for all of the love and support from home! I love you Mom, you are such a huge blessing in my life. I hope you have an exciting week! LOVE YOU!😁


Love Elder Findlay


Back to Saguaro Zone!



Remember Elder Parra😂 from Chile?
sadly he isn't in our district, just on exchanges for the day.
Love that dude
.




Service day at the Mesa Triathlon