Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Happy Spring! Week #84

Hey Mom!

Time is flying by and I am excited for every minute that I have left here in Mesa! I hate to think that it will have to come to an end:/ Although being a missionary is super hard and stinking frustrating all the time....I LOVE IT. I love the interesting people we meet and the weird experiences that we have each day😂 I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

 Haha... you saw that video😂(A member sent me a funny video of Elder Findlay and Elder Burningham playing Bean Boozled this week at their home) Oh boy...some of those jelly beans were horrid...I ate a barf flavored one and I tasted it for like the next 2 hours😂

This week was super quick. We did a lot of good work in the area and are finding new opportunities to share the gospel every day! We’ve been preparing a lot for the Easter Pageant these next few weeks. There are 9 days of it and we are planning on going to 8 of the 9 performances. I think we are taking over 25 people total so it should be a huge success. They just barely set up all of the chairs and so it’s getting close to show time! I’m seriously the luckiest missionary in the world living right next to the temple during Christmas Lights AND the Easter Pageant. Everyday I’m super grateful for that. 

We had interviews with President this week. It was good as usual, he and I have a pretty tight relationship. He’s helped me through a lot of tough times on my mission. I can’t imagine what it would be like serving a mission without a mission President. Anyways I really really love my area right now and so I asked him if I could stay one more transfer here with Elder Burningham. He said that he would consider doing that. I hope so. By the end of this transfer I will have been here for 6 months but I want to stay longer still😂 Finally the work is going really well and we are staying really busy. That’s when missionary work is most enjoyable. 

I got to go on exchanges with Elder Bland again! It was like we were back to day one of the mission at the MTC. . He came to my area and we had a blast. We were talking about how much we’ve changed since being in the MTC as companions and it’s so nuts. There is no doubt that God has changed us since then. I love seeing progress in myself and in other people. It just confirms to me the truth and the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

This week I’ve been studying a lot about being spiritually reborn or experiencing “a change of heart”. It’s easy to change things in your mind and in your outward appearance, but changing your heart is a very sacred and personal experience. I love this quote that I read from a talk given by Bruce R. McConkie, it says: “With most people, conversion [spiritual rebirth and accompanying remission of sins] is a process; and it goes step by step, degree by degree, level by level, from a lower state to a higher, from grace to grace, until the time that the individual is wholly turned to the cause of righteousness. Now, this means that an individual overcomes one sin today and another sin tomorrow. He perfects his life in one field now, and in another field later on. And the conversion process goes on until it is completed, until we become, literally, as the Book of Mormon says, saints of God instead of natural men.”   Taking on our weaknesses one by one, step by step is what Heavenly Father asks of us. He requires us to do the best we can to follow Him and give up any unrighteousness or disobedience that we have. As we do that, we are surrendering ourselves to His will and He will change our hearts and nature. He will give us a strength and a power that cannot be compared to anything here on earth. We become more like Him and we are happy.😁 

Ugh yeah I don’t like to think about school! haha. (It's registration time for fall semester at the university when he comes home) So I have permission to try to get onto the Weber portal today or next p-day if I can’t today. I will definitely want to take my classes in the morning if possible, that way I can work the rest of the day.  

 I went to the eye doctor again this week and my eye is getting better but the infection isn’t gone. My doctor told me that I need to keep using the eye drops and that it should clear it up. I have another appointment next week. 

Anyways I had a really fun week. It’s always great being a missionary. We got to help out with the Easter Pageant a little bit again so that was fun. I love the feeling of being a missionary! I love you Momma and hope you have a good week!
Love, Elder Findlay
Easter Pageant resurrection rock

This is a small portion of the set and kind
 of gives you an idea of how large the stage is

Real "Doritos" covered in chili sauce

Playing Bean Boozled and eating
gross flavors! yuck

And this weeks car pics.....